Copilot Functions missing from Controller

• 6 August 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4
  • Second Officer
  • 13 replies

Hi Community,

while experimentig wth Aviatrix I was not able to perform some actions from Copilot, and I had to do them via the controller.

Can you help me understanding if I missed them, or if they are not moved yet?

1. Spoke Gateway detachment from transit: under Cloud Fabric > Gateways > Spoke Gateways > MyGwName - Edit I tried to delete the TGW name, but after I clicked away from the field, the TGW appeared again 
  2. OpenVPN: all the openVPN menus of the controller are missing in Copilot. Moreover, the “Additional CIDRs” option is only present in the controller under OpenVPN  > Edit Config > Modify Split Tunnel, but it is not reflected under Gateway > MyGwName > Edit Designated Gateway > Additional CIDRs (for Controller) and Cloud Fabric > Speciality Gateways > Spoke Gateways > MyGwName - Edit > Split Tunnel > Additional CIDRs

Many thanks,

Francesco

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Ciao Francesco,

let’s immediately reply to your questions! 😀

I try deleting a gateway directly by the Copilot and as per the following screenshot:

it worked fine! Is this the action you took or did you try modifying the gateway name (deleting it first) only?

Regarding the second question, I can confirm UserVPN functions will be supported in next releases of Copilot.

Trying to replicate your case scenario, I set 10.0.23.0/24 as CIDR in the Modify Split Tunnel configuration feature:

and the above one has been perfectly replicated in Copilot → Gateways → Specialty Gateways → Details:

Can you please re-verify enabling the Modify Split Tunnel feature to one of your OpenVPN gateway and setting a CIDR? If the Additional CIDR is not synced in the Copilot → Gateways → Specialty Gateways → Details can you please verify which Copilot version are you running?

As a further clarification and considering the Aviatrix Documentation, Split Tunnel Mode (designed for VPN Gateways) is a different feature then Designated Gateway (available for AWS only) and the last one is not compatible with VPN settings, as per the following error message:

I got trying to replicate it.

Please, let me know if you need any more clarifications.

Cheers,

Nico

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi @Nico thanks a lot for your feedback.

1) Spoke gateway deletion works fine, and while deleting the gateway, any attachment to a TGW is also deleted. What I could not achieve, was just deleting the single attachment from the “Edit gateway” menu, while keeping the Gateway alive.

2) I am probably looking at the wrong menu in CoPilot: I thought the additional CIDRs would have been displayed in the “Edit Gateway” menu, instead of looking at the “Gateway details” menu.

I can’t double check right now, but as soon as I can verify I’ll approve your answer!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Bigo for my understanding, you cannot break a Spoke/Transit Gateways connection (both in HA), detaching a single Spoke Gateway only!

Can you please confirm this is the case scenario you would like to verify? If so, what is the goal of this action? High Availability testing?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi @Nico,

I have no HA configured in my example as it’s just a lab scenario, even though being able to detach one Spoke from its current Transit might comes handy in general, in case a change in the current setup is needed.

This funcion is available in the controller under MULTI-CLOUD TRANSIT > Setup > Attach/Detach > 2a | Detach Aviatrix Spoke Gateway

I expected that in CoPilot I could do the same by emptying the “Attach to Transit Gateway” field and saving, but it seems impossible to clean up that field.

For the OpenVPN question, you’re right I can see the fields populated in the Gateway details page in CoPilot:

However, they are not editable from here, so I thought they could be seen and edited from the “Edit Gateway” menu:

But as you can see, this file is not updated, and if I enter a CIDR there and hit “Save”, nothing happens.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @Bigo,
thank you so much for the detailed comment! really appreciated!

If you would like to detach the Spoke Gateway from the Transit one, you should:

• reach the Copilot → Gateways → Spoke Gateways page.
  • click on the Manage Transit Gateway Attachment link:

• click on the Trash icon:

• and save it:

• The Spoke Gateway will be detached, as per:

Regarding the Copilot -> Cloud Fabric -> Gateways -> Specialty Gateways configuration editing, it looks we hit a particular Race Condition! I shared this with the Engineering Team and it will be fixed in the next Copilot release.

Please, let me know if you need any further clarification.

Cheers,

Nico