Feedback from migrating from AWS Peering to Connected Transit

• 11 May 2023
  • 2 replies

Currently we have in our environment too many AWS Peerings and we are considering enabling Connected Transit and let Aviatrix manage inter-VPC communication. 

I would like the transition to be as transparent as possible for our end users; thus I have few questions:

• Will the AWS Peerings conflict after I enable Connected Transit?
  • When do you delete the AWS Peerings, before or after enabling Connected Transit?
  • Was there a significant change in cost regarding data transfer now all traffic is going thru the Spoke Gateeways?

I am interested in learning from you experience. thx

Antonio

2 replies

• Will the AWS Peerings conflict after I enable Connected Transit? No, the vpc peering will still be in use even after enabling connected transit since the most specific route always wins.  You would have to delete the peerings to then use connected transit.
  • When do you delete the AWS Peerings, before or after enabling Connected Transit? Delete the peerings after you enable connected transit.  The only issues I ran into when manually deleting vpc peerings was that the route would not be cleared out of the route tables and would then be marked as blackhole.  After clearing the blackhole routes, the problem was resolved.  So that’s something to pay attention to when migrating from a VPC peering to transit.
  • Was there a significant change in cost regarding data transfer now all traffic is going thru the Spoke Gateeways?  No there was no change in cost for egress data.  You get copilot visibility for all traffic which is a big benefit and scalability.

Thank your so much for your response. Deleting the AWS Peerings should not be a problem since they were deployed using Aviatrix Controller; which should take care of cleaning the routes.